November 13, 2017
This slightly longer than "normal" episode has a bit of news followed by a long discussion on Hotshots by Fireside Games. We also get into a small discussion on probabilities.
- 02:17 Shopping Geeklist (1 Player Guild Collective Aquisition Disorder) (BGG)
- 04:27 English Eerie (RPG Geek, DriveThruRPG)
- 07:34 Tom Vassel loves Solo
- 12:12 Untold: Adventures Await (BGG)
- 18:32 Dawn of Peacemakers (KS, BGG)
- 31:33 Hotshots (BGG)
November 1, 2017
Have you considered a career in sound effects creation? Neither did Albert until he played B-17, and now he is fascinated with creating the sound air-based combat simulation sound effects! Amazing!
In this episode, Albert and Julius talk about a bunch of games they've been playing and are highly anticipating playing. Expect to hear more about all of these. Then, Albert presents B-17 Flying Fortress Leader, a strategic bombing game where you control a bomber group.
- Recent plays and anticipated games
- Too Many Bones (02:15)
- Arkham Horror: The Card Game - Labyrinth of Lunacy (06:50)
- Nemo's War (09:24)
- Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 and Charterstone (14:58)
- Other anticipated games: Sentinels of the Multiverse and Heroes Wanted (16:28)
- Correction on automa for Patchwork (18:00)
- 1 Player Guild Top 100 games (18:50)
- One Deck Dungeon the app (22:20)
- Thanks to our Patreons! (24:54)
- B-17 Flying Fortress Leader (27:13)
September 25, 2017
A game about farming in the Mediterranean! This episode has Julius taking a close look at La Granja for solo play. Then we both play a game of Ancient Empires, currently on Kickstarters.
- 05:50 - The Networks: Executives (BGG, KS)
- 09:35 - Wander: The Cult of Barnacle Bay (BGG, KS)
- 13:55 - Ancient Artifacts (BGG, KS)
- 50:10 - Ancient Artifacts play through
- 68:45 - Thanks for listenning!
September 8, 2017
Having survived the great darkening of the sun, Albert and Julius return to delve into the deepest reaches of our oceans. In this episode, after a breif chat of our solar eclipse experiences, Albert and Julius review the solitaire game Nemo's War (second edition). Albert also interviews David Thompson, the designer of Pavlov's House and a number of other designs. Join us as we chat about puppies, boats, and suns.
- Eclipse chat (00:30)
- Okey Dokey (03:28)
- Interview with David Thompson, designer of Pavlov’s House (08:30)
- Nemo’s War (48:58)
August 10, 2017
Gencon is right around the corner, so Albert and Julius are excited to talk about some of the games they are looking forward to hearing more about. Sadly, although GenCant is happening this year, GenCant SoloCon didn't get arranged for this year. Regardless, Albert and Julius take a brief run through their wishlists from Gencon releases, and talk about a few other games on Kickstarter. After the rush of con games is over, they review Raxxon, the cooperative evacuation card game from PlaidHat Games. As an aside, due to Raxxon's "interesting" distribution model, if you are looking to get your hands on a copy, check the 1 Player Guild forums for a thread with invite codes.
(Also, sorry that Albert's microphone was messing up during recording. It gets better if you skip to later portions.)
- Finished (by Friedemann Friese) (01:36)
- Heroes Wanted expansion (03:35)
- Flash Point: Fire Rescue expansion (05:33)
- GenCon wishlists (11:49)
- Raxxon review (26:32)
July 24, 2017
This is a big episode folks! This time around Julius and Albert invited anybody that wanted to participate to come on the show and chat. We were joined by BGG user SSGMightyMouse. We spent a lot of time talking about just about every aspect of new new-ish Arkham Horror LCG. We also have some news and a discussion of LCG versus "regular" games, in terms of cost.
This is a big big show.
01:45 Escape Room style games
08:20 Publishing solo games for fun or profit
15:25 Founders of Gloomhaven (BGG, KS)
20:55 Star Realms: Frontiers (BGG, KS)
23:25 Quill: Shadow and Ink (RPGG, DriveThruRPG)
27:20 LCG versus traditional games
42:15 Arkham Horror LCG (BGG)
July 11, 2017
Albert and Julius celebrate July 4 with a rousing discussion of board games. We preview the upcoming game Renegade, chat about the recent release of the Friday app, and a few other board games.
We also announce our upcoming live event: The Big Arkham Chat. On July 16 at 8 pm (central), we will be recording our episode talking about Arkham Horror the card game and a discussion of living card games and subscription games versus standard distribution methods. And we are inviting all listeners to participate as guest co-hosts. If you want to participate by voice, contact us in advance. If you want to participate by text during the live recording, just come to our Discord channel on July 16 at 8 pm (central). Our Discord channel is at: https://discord.gg/Yj2WqFM
Finally, Julius presents our review and discussion of Big Book of Madness, a cooperative deck building game where you play as student wizards attempting to close the aforementioned book without being driven insane. Listen for our full review and let us know your thoughts on the forums and on Discord.
Thanks to all our patrons on Patreon for supporting our podcast. Find us at patreon.com/1playerpodcast.
- Recent games
- Sabetuor duel
- Friday app
- D12 Solo Rules
- La Granja
- Live Podcast: Arkham Horror Card Game
- Winner of the 1 Player Guild Game challenge
- Review of Big Book of Madness
June 26, 2017
Yet another double-header episode. This time Julius and Albert talk about Nautilion AND Flatline, a sequel to Fuse. First though, we go over a bit of news, mostly about Morten and Automas. Then we also talk about KS games.
Finally, Albert and Julius discuss the latest Shadi Torbey game, Nautilion and then Julius teaches Albert Flatline.
- 01:40 - Asmodee in the news, again
- 02:55 - Automas (Scythe: The Wind Gambit, Charterstone, Gaia)
- 06:30 - Automa (Near and Far variant) (BGG)
- 07:55 - Who's Gary: 1 Player Guild Game (BGG)
- 09:15 - Triplock (BGG, KS)
- 10:55 - Oaxaca (BGG, KS)
- 12:30 - Helionox Deluxe (BGG, KS)
- 14:55 - Epic AF (BGG, KS not availabe at time of publishing)
- Feature games
- 18:35 - Nautilion (BGG)
- 39:50 - Flatline (BGG)
June 14, 2017
Having pulled through another bought of thunderstorms and power losses, Albert and Julius return with another information packed episode, along with Albert spending a lot of time lecturing Julius about the history behind the game Sagrada.
Julius and Albert take some time off gaming to discuss the hobby, and specifically the publishing industry of board games. They talk about Asmodee's latest distributor deals, acquisitions of Rory's Story Cubes, and minimum pricing requirements. Oh, and Albert really likes Rory's Story Cubes and wants to play a new RPG based on the cubes.
Albert also has done some research on the history behind Sagrada and the architecture leading to the stained glass windows that are the subject of the game Sagrada. After regaling us with tales of old times, Albert and Julius talk about the game itself and share their reviews and opinions on all aspects of the game.
Extended show notes:
- Recent plays:
- Article on AIs for Solo Games (link) (03:48)
- Asmode Distributor Deal (04:43)
- Asmode Purchase of Rory's Story Cubes (10:21)
- Sagrada (15:45)
- History (15:50)
- Review (32:20)
May 29, 2017
Albert & Julius are back to their old habits with an 80 minute long show. We've packed full-o-stuff. We quickly celebrate the podcast's 6th anniversary and SGoYT's 4th anniversary. It wasn't mentioned, but May is Solitaire Gaming Month. At the time of this posting, you still have 2 days left to enjoy it!
Albert has a good time talking to the designers of 12 Reals Dungeonland, Nick Niotis & Panos Tryposkoufis. The reboot should be on KS very soon (June 1st). The game sounds fun and has Chicken Warriors!!
Finally, Julius talks about the Dresden Files Coop Card Game. It's a neat game on a book series he loves. Warning: Avoid the tv show.
- 04:45 - Game apps
- Onirim (BGG)
- Star Realms (BGG)
- 06:50 - Patreon
- 07:20 - Manhattan Project 2 & dice game contest (BGG, KS, Contest)
- 09:30 - 12 Realms: Dungeonland Interview (BGG, KS)
- 33:40 - Listenner Feedback
- 42:10 - Dresden Files Co-operative Card Game (BGG)